Saturday, August 21, 2010

CORN ON THE COB....all year round.

Corn on the cob. A definite favorite around our house. When my seven year old daughter made her VIP poster for school, she wrote corn on the cob as her favorite food. I just might have to agree. 
 Here she is six years ago enjoying her first ear of corn. Love at first bite!

It's just too bad that we can't eat it all year round (without breaking the bank anyway!) So, the next best thing is freezer corn. Here are three tried and true ways to freeze corn. ENJOY! (All year round!)


ON THE COB
This link will take you to great instructions, including pictures on how to freeze your corn right on the cob! 


This link will take you to the same great website, pickyourown.org. It is a fabulous resource for any type of canning or freezing project you might have.  

NOTE: When I freeze my corn off the cob, I cut the corn off the cob FIRST and then blanch it. You will blanch it for less time (2-3 minutes in the boiling water) and it is easier to handle when it is not hot.  

INDULGENT THANKSGIVING CORN 
 This is my favorite version of freezer corn, but the one I make the least often. I call it Indulgent Thanksgiving Corn because it is full of butter and sugar and therefor not real great for you and is saved for special occasions, ie; Thanksgiving. 

This recipe was shared with me by my husband's Aunt Wylene.

8 cups corn cut off the cob (do not blanch)
1 cube butter
1 cup water
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 salt


1. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the corn and stir.
2. Add the water, sugar, and salt.
3. Bring to a boil. Boil five minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Take off the heat and cool.
5. Try not to eat it all before it is bagged. 
6. Put the cooled corn in freezer bags. I fill each bag with the amount that my family would eat during one meal.
7. Freeze and enjoy the whole year through!


 

No comments: