Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mixed Emotions---You Be the Judge

I'm really hoping that someone looks past the food combination here, and tries this recipe, because I really want another opinion. 

If I'm being honest, it wasn't my favorite, BUT I did want to keep going back for more?! 

What's that all about? 

My family loves broccoli and usually we eat it steamed or in stir-fry.  Since I've been getting my BB I have been trying to venture out with how we eat our fruits and veggies. You know, trying to mix it up a little. So with that in mind, tonight I made Broccoli Cheese Cornbread. 

Yes, you heard me right. Broccoli in cornbread.  If it's any consulation, my daughter who won't eat anything with color in it, didn't even question the green specks and ate it all right up.  

After I've had a few hours to think about it, I think it would pair well with a cheese quiche or something rich and decadent; not the grilled chicken breast we ate it with...

Ingredients:
1 C flour
1 C cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
4 eggs (I used egg beaters)
2 T butter, melted
1 C cottage cheese
1/2-1 onion, chopped (I used 1/2)
fresh broccoli, chopped fine

1)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking pan.
2)  Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
3)  Melt the butter and combine with eggs, cottage cheese, and onion. Stir the egg and cheese mixture into the flour mixture.  Fold in the broccoli.  Pour batter into the prepared pan. 
4)  Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick into the center of the pan comes out clean.  

**original recipe found at allrecipes.com

So, if you're brave, give this one a try and then come back and let's talk about what YOU thought of the recipe.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I grew up eating this!!! It is the BEST thing ever.