Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tilapia with Cucumber Mint Relish and Coconut Rice


Okay, this recipe doesn't use a lot of veggies we have gotten from our baskets lately.  The only thing I used up was an English Cucumber.  BUT, it was SO good that I had to post it anyway.  Amazing, actually.  My dear friend, Kristie, gave it to me several months ago and I finally made it last night.  I'm pretty sure this will be a regular around our house!

Tilapia with Cucumber Mint Relish and Coconut Rice

Coconut, Mint, and Chive Relish:
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped English Cucumber
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (I used 3 Tablespoons)
1-2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced (use only 1 if you don't like the heat)!
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon peanut oil (I just used Olive Oil...it's what we already had)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds (I used ground mustard...again, what we already had)

Fish:
2 teaspoons grated lime rind
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon peanut oil (again, I used Olive Oil)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ( 6 ounce) tilapia fillets (You can buy individually packaged fillets at any grocery store and it's cheap!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Cooking spray
lime wedges

Coconut Rice:
***I doubled this recipe
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup white rice (not instant)
1 Tablespoon sugar

1.  Preheat Boiler
2.  To prepare Coconut Rice:  Combine 1 cup coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring OFTEN.  Once it is boiling, add the rice and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and cook 20-25 minutes.  Once rice is cooked add 1 Tablespoon of sugar, sprinkle on top and let it soak in for a few minutes.
3.  To prepare relish:  Combine cucumber, chives, coconut, mint, cilantro, and jalapeno. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons of lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin.  Heat 1 teaspoon peanut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mustard seeds; saute 30 seconds or until seeds begin to pop.  Add to cucumber mixture. Set aside
5.  To prepare fish: Combine lime rind, lime juice, peanut oil, cumin, and red pepper; rub evenly over fish.  Sprinkle fish with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper.  Place fish on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil (easier to clean up) and broil 7-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.  
6.  Serve fish over coconut rice topped with cucumber relish = YUM!

3 comments:

Kim said...

how coconuty is it? you know richard doesn't like coconut but this sounds so yummy to me.

maybe you should make it on a mon or tues and have the kids and i over for dinner?!? :) just sayin!

cindy. said...

done and done, sister. we'll have it again in the next couple of weeks and have you over. if only you have called me an hour earlier last night and you could have come over!

Kristen said...

I wish I lived closer, I want to come over as well. You had me a coconut! I will have to make this and not tell Steve what it is: He loves rice but hates coconut, I am hoping it is the texture of coconut he doesn't like and not the flavor because I am trying this. Love you.. Mwyah!