Friday, May 13, 2011

FUN WITH FRUIT

Oh, summer, we can't wait for your arrival.  It feels nice to actually be experiencing spring within the last couple of days and let me just tell you, we are soaking it up.  When in California, I really missed the seasons... A LOT, but now that we aren't living there anymore and we've had our first winter, I am beginning to think that seasons are overrated!!  Anyone else agree?  My kiddos and I just really missed being outside everyday.  We have a lot of making up to do.  :) 

We've made Popsicles before.  Last year when we would often go to the local farm for strawberries I purchased Popsicle molds in multiple shapes and we mixed up some great ones, but I never would have thought of these...

Rainbow Popsicles from Kojodesigns.  Can I just tell you how much fun my daughter and I had whipping these up.  We're all excited for snack time now.  The recipe calls for adding fruit juice which I tried with the pineapple and then I regretted it when the pineapple tasted like apple.  So from there on out we just pureed the fruit and it worked out perfectly! 


You could use ANY kind of fruit (fresh or frozen...we used up some of our Bountiful Basket fruits and a couple others we had on hand.)  We made 14 Popsicles and our molds are good sized. 

RED--strawberries, I used less than one carton
ORANGE--cantaloupe, 1/4 (if you like cantaloupe, this is DELICIOUS)
YELLOW--pineapple, whole pineapple, minus some nibbles :)
GREEN--kiwi, 1 (all I had on hand, so our green was really lacking--again, delicious if you like kiwi)
PURPLE--blueberries, 1/2 carton (probably would use more next time)

Pull out your fruits and get making.  You'll be so glad you did.  This will be a staple this summer!! 

2 comments:

Lacie Josephine said...

This is a great site! I come here for ideas for what to do with the things I find in my basket. I hate wasting things and thanks to you I waste so much less!

Stanley said...

African Baskets are classy and cool. They are strong, durable and each one is unique! Everyone is individually photographed. It’s a perfect gift, used as a farmer’s market basket, everyday shopping, or a fit in your home décor. All baskets are fair trade and hand made in Ghana. Ghana Baskets are very high quality.