Thursday, October 28, 2010

BBQ Chicken Salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, green onions, and tortillas


Okay, so this might not be the most original or creative 'recipe' I've ever posted.  Some of you may be thinking, "Duh.  I thought of that a loooooong time ago."  But for those of you that haven't, I hope I am sharing a little treasure with you.

A homemade BBQ Chicken Salad is probably my very favorite meal.  And I like my BBQ Chicken Salad way better than any I've had in a restaurant . . . yes, even California Pizza Kitchen and Chili's.  It's reallllllly good.  And the best part?  My husband loves it just as much as me!

On Saturday morning, when I came home with two more heads of lettuce (making three in our fridge), I knew this would be at the top of our menu this week.  And I have had it three times already (and I'd eat it three more time this week.  It's that good.)

It's simple, simple and delicious.  So here you go . . . 

BBQ Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
(you decide the quantity for how many mouths you are feeding)
boneless, skinless chicken breasts
bbq sauce (we love Sweet Baby Rays)
lettuce
tomato
cucumber
red pepper
avocado
green onion (we used the bulbs of the onion only)
cilantro (We don't skimp on the cilantro.  It adds an amazing flavor!)
tortillas
cheddar cheese

Directions:
Cube your chicken and cook in a pan on the stove.  While your chicken is cooking, chop your lettuce and veggies.  Once the chicken is cooked all the way thru, add some bbq sauce and a touch of water to the hot pan and cook for a few more minutes until the bbq sauce kind of caramelizes the chicken.  Heat your tortilla in a pan on the stove and melt a little cheese on the top.

Once the chicken and tortilla are cooked and the veggies chopped, put the tortilla on a plate (or a shallow soup bowl . . . that's what we use) and layer the lettuce, veggies, and chicken on top.  Add your favorite dressing (mine is Light House Honey Mustard with this salad) and ENJOY!   

I promise your taste buds will be in heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That salad looks really good....we will have to give it a try...we love avocados but will probably opt for fat free cheese and a whole wheat tortilla to keep me on track with my Weight Watchers program.