Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup.


Monday was our first chilly, fall day.  The perfect day for warm, homemade soup!  I am so excited to be getting into the soup making season.  I've had a couple of recipes in mind for a few weeks, but I've been waiting for this chilly weather to come.  And Monday was the perfect day to try one out . . .

I am REALLY hoping a few of you, like me, had your Butternut and Acorn Squash sitting on your counter for a couple of weeks.  Because if you still do, make this soup TONIGHT!  It was amazing!  I was a bit nervous, not knowing if I would love soup made primarily out of squash but I thought it was worth a shot.  And worth a shot it was!  My husband and I both loved it.  I'm really hoping we get another Butternut Squash before the fall season is over.

I made a few of my own adjustments to the original recipe, so here is what I did . . .

Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 cups roasted Butternut Squash
1 1/2 cups roasted Acorn Squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (gave it just a little kick, add less if you don't like spicy!)
1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages of light cream cheese
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Cut your Butternut and Acorn Squash in half and clean out the string and seeds.  Place the squash on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray, cut side down.  Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until soft all the way through.

In a sauce pan, saute the chopped onions in the butter.  Bring water, chicken bouillon cubes, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to a boil on the stove in a large soup pan.

Scoop out the roasted squash from the peel and puree in a food processor with the sauteed onions and butter and cream cheese in batches until smooth.  Add the pureed mix to the boiling water mixture and heat through.  Do not allow to boil!

We served this with a salad made from our lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers from the Basket too.  If I would have had time I would have served this with Kim's homemade French Bread.  It would have been the perfect combination.

So seriously, if you still have your squash . . . don't wait any longer!  MAKE THIS TONIGHT!  It's a delicious, warm, and cozy meal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Beautiful wife used our Butternut Squash to make soup and it was amazingly good!! Because of BB's we are slowly reducing the amount of meat products that we would otherwise enjoy. On average we are now bypassing meat, chicken or fish 2-3 times a week now. Because the veggies are so fresh and wonderful we are not missing the meat in our life. Now, with that being said, I am certainly NOT ready to become a vegetarian.