Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Maui Black Bean Soup (with carrots, celery, red pepper, and onion)

Last night I made another really good soup, using up a lot of our Bountiful Basket veggies from the past couple of weeks . . . carrots, celery, red pepper, and onion.  It was fairly simple to prepare and both my husband I loved it!  We both packed it away in our lunch sacks for work today and are excited for a good lunch.

We served this with a salad made with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red peppers.  Again, ALL from our Basket!  I was thrilled with the outcome and the fun of using all Bountiful Basket veggies! 

(By the way, I don't know what's happening with this post, but I can't get the all caps to go away when I post it!  It's not typing in all caps.  It just shows up when I post it.  So, sorry it's kind of hard to read.  Silly, silly computers.) 

Maui Black Bean Soup 

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped ( I don't like celery so I omit these)
1 - 2 fat carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and deveined, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and deveined, chopped
2 cloves garlic passed through a garlic press
1 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 x 15 oz cans low sodium black beans
1 x 15 oz canned diced tomatoes (I think it would be so yummy to use fresh tomatoes too!)
2 cups fresh corn kernels
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

Directions:
1.  In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add celery, carrot, onion, and bell peppers.  Saute until onion becomes translucent, about 8 minutes.  Add garlic.  Cook another 2 minutes.

2.  Add stock or cooking liquid of your choice, beans, tomatoes and spices.  Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat.  Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.  Using an immersion blender (I use my food processor), puree soup to desired consistency (we left ours a little chunky).  Add corn and let simmer for 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve hot.  Makes 8 servings.

Recipe Source: my boss's wife :)

p.s...Have you entered our giveaway yet?  if not, go here and be sure to get your name in the hat!  The bags are SO cute and are a great way to pick up your Saturday morning goodies!

2 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

YEP! Eating that this week, for sure! Sounds delish.

Nisha said...

This recipe looks so good! I'll be posting it on a Healthy Mom's Kitchen mene plan soon!! Thanks :)