Tuesday, November 2, 2010

broccoli, broccoli, broccoli . . .


Have you felt like you have had broccoli coming out of your ears the past couple of weeks?  Getting broccoli three weeks in a row sure made us feel that way.  We love broccoli in our house, but it sure seemed like a lot!

We finally used up the last of our broccoli late last week with these two really quick and easy but delicious recipes.  

Sunday night we had my parents, Grandma and Kim's family over for dinner.  My husband and I made these amazing homemade bread bowls (the Italian Bread Bowls) and served this incredible Broccoli Cheese Soup in them.  Both items were a total hit with everyone!


I was surprised at how easy the bread bowls were to make.  And if you are lucky enough to have a Kitchen Aid, they will be even easier.  I don't have a Kitchen Aid (I am dying to get one!), but luckily, I do have a strong husband who did all the mixing and kneading.

And the Broccoli Cheese Soup came together in a jiffy!  Honestly, it was so quick and easy.  I am positive this soup will become a regular in our house.

 Earlier in the week, we made a broccoli casserole.  The recipe comes from a recipe book put together and given to me as a wedding gift by one of our family's dearest friends.  My husband and I made it a couple of months ago and honestly, I liked it better the first time for some reason.  When we made it this week it just didn't taste as good to me.  My husband still gobbled it right up.  But me . . . I don't know what my deal was.

Give it a try and let me know what you and your family think . . .

Quick Chicken Divan
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh broccoli, cut and steamed
1(10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup uncooked rice, cooked in 2 cups water
2 cups chicken, cubed and cooked
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese
2 TBS butter, melted

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 12x8 baking dish.  Place cooked rice in dish.  Sprinkle chicken and broccoli evenly over the rice.  Combine lemon juice, soup, mayonnaise and cheese; spread over chicken and broccoli.  Toss breadcrumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over casserole.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes uncovered.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I just found your site and it is awesome! Thanks for all the great recipes.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, man. This looks like heaven. Especially since it is sorta snowing here right now. Here we go!!!

And you are quite the homemaker these days my dear! Homemade bread bowls?!?!?! I'm not telling Kendon. He'll think he married the wrong sister! Bread bowls are one of his FAVES!