Tuesday, November 2, 2010

GREEN BEAN Goodness

I was so pleased to find green beans in my basket on Saturday.  I love green beans cooked any old way, but this recipe is one of my favorites; especially this time of year, the flavors, just taste like fall to me. 

I found the recipe here on the weight watcher's site, but I switch it up by adding more veggies (the original does not call for green beans! crazy if you ask me!) and using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. 


(this is the picture on the weight watchers site and yours will look even yummier since it will have green beans and be smoothered in sweet potato goodness!!)

Classic Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients

Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces (I used about 8 of the tiny BB sweet potatoes)
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 T butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 C onion
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 pound ground turkey
green beans, ends removed and broken into bite size pieces (use as many as will feed your family)
4 T flour
1 t rosemary
1 t thyme
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 C chicken broth

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2) Cover Sweet potatoes with water, set heat to high, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, until fork tender.  Drain, add sour cream and butter.  Mash until smooth, set aside.  *I use my kitchen-aid to mash my potatoes.  It gets them super smooth and creamy.

3) Meanwhile, heat oil in pan, add onions, carrots, and celery; cook until soft.  Add the ground turkey and cook until browned.  Add the green beans and let cook for a few minutes.  Add the flour, and all seasonings, stirring to coat all veggies and turkey well.  Add the broth and bring to a simmer; simmer until the mixture thickens. 

4) Transfer the turkey mixture to a 9x13 pan coated in non-stick spray.  Spread mashed sweet potatoes over the top.  Bake until bubbly; about 30 minutes.  **Let sit for about 5 minutes after done cooking.  My family is usually starving by the time I finally get dinner made, and we don't usually let it sit.  It's a little soupy.  It still tastes just as good, just not as appetizing! 

MMMM, good. 

Even my 2 year old said, "Mom, I like that orange stuff!" 

No comments: