Those cute little tomatoes in your basket this week...are really PERSIMMONS. I'm sure you've all figured that out by now, but just in case, that's what they are! A sweet little fruit that I think are almost too cute to eat. Here is a little bit of info about them. And just in case, here is probably more info than you ever wanted to know.
And now, here are some ideas of what to do with them.
- Slice Fuyu and spread with lime juice, salt, and chili powder. Eat with a slice of cheese or spread with peanut butter.
- For an Autumn Salad, mix cubed Fuyu with grapes, pomegrante seeds, cubed apple, and pretty sliced green kiwi.
- Top hot or cold cereal with little pieces of bright orange Fuyu. (I'm trying this tomorrow!)
- Salsa is great when chopped Fuyu, onion, tomatillo, cilantro, and chili serrano are mixed together.(Trying this tomorrow too!)
- Smoothies can be blended using Fuyu, ice, lime juice, and milk. Sweeten if desired.
- Syrup for hotcakes is delightful when peeled and chopped or blended Fuyu is cooked with butter and sugar.(Might have to shoot for Saturday morning pancakes!)
- Dehydrate thin slices of Fuyu to enjoy as a snack or to add to trail mix.
- 3 fuyu persimmons peeled, chopped (1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces), seeds (if any) discarded
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Granny Smith or Fuji apple, peeled, cored, chopped (1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces)
- 7-10 leaves fresh mint, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- I also added pears and grapes since we had them.
Gently toss all of the ingredients together.
Let us know what your plans are for your cute little persimmons!