Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Special- Caramel Apple Pizza

We still had a few Granny Smith apples left at our house from last week. (That's what happens when you go major grocery shopping the day before picking up your basket and buy a ton of apples. Oops. You just never know what you'll get with BB.) Oh, well. It gave me the opportunity to make this yummy "pizza." My kids were in pizza heaven.

 Image from here
My picture was not nearly as beautiful due to bad lighting, plus the fact that my kids assembled the pizza. There were not any beautifully lined up apples. But they had fun and it tasted just as yummy!

Caramel Apple Pizza

Crust:
1 pkg. Sugar Cookie Dough (or homemade dough)

*Spread dough on a pizza pan or sheet pan and bake. Let cool.

Sauce/Frosting:
1 - 8 oz. pkg. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
*Cream together and spread onto cooled crust.
*Top with thinly sliced Granny Smith Apple. Drizzle with caramel sauce (ice cream topping) and sprinkle with nuts if desired.

Here is the super simple sugar cookie dough recipe I used:
Soft Sugar Cookies
2 cups sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. baking soda
7 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together. (Seriously, this is the easiest recipe. I literally dump all ingredients in one bowl all at once and mix!)
Chill
Add 1 cup flour and roll out.
Bake at 375* for 10 minutes.

I made this whole recipe and ended up using half of it for my crust. The crust was super thick and next time I'll probably only use about 1/4-1/3 of the recipe. 

1 comment:

Bek said...

Am I missing something? Is this the right recipe for the sugar cookies, or did I do something wrong?