Saturday, January 15, 2011

Black Bean, Corn, and Yellow Squash Enchiladas

There are a few recipes that make me think I could be vegetarian and this is one of those AMAZING recipes.  When I had my son 15 months ago, (where does the time go?) a friend brought us these enchiladas and I have made them many times since. 

The recipe is actually called, Black Bean, Corn, and Zucchini Enchiladas, but I figured the yellow squash would work just as well, and I wasn't wrong.  (I did have one zucchini around and so I used both.)

It has a homemade enchilada sauce and every time I eat these I wonder why I ever purchase enchilada sauce at the store.  Maybe this time I will remember that this is simple and so so tasty! 

ENCHILADA SAUCE
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 tsp minced garlic ( i used 4 cloves)
1/2 cup vegetable broth (i had chicken around the house)
1 T chili powder
1 T honey
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (i used 2 small cans diced tomatoes that i pureed)

Heat oil and saute onion and garlic until onion is tender.  Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.

That's it...told you it was easy!

ENCHILADAS
**adapted from a cooking light recipe.  this is what i used.
1 tsp canola oil
2 cups diced zucchini & yellow squash. 
1 (10 oz) package frozen white corn
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups enchilada sauce (see above)
cooking spray
8 flour tortillas (we have used whole wheat and tonight i used the fresh ones you need to cook from costco--BB tortillas would also work)
1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese. (i find that if i use medium or sharp cheddar i can use drastically less cheese than recipes call for.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat oil in a pan, add zucchini and corn; saute for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.  Remove from heat and stir in beans.

Spread one cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.  Spoon 1/2 cup zucchini mixture down the center of the tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, and roll up.  Place seam-side down.  Spread remaining enchilada sauce evenly over enchiladas. 

Cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Uncover, top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts. 

**I do realize we did not get yellow squash (or zucchini) this week, but rather last.  I never got around to making these but just in case there is someone out there that still has not used their squash I thought I would share. Plus, this way you can have all the ingredients on hand so that when we get squash or zucchini again, you'll be ready to make them. 

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I hate wasting any of my BB produce and now I hope I never will!

Those enchiladas look great! I am gonna make sweet potato enchiladas and swap out the sweet potato for the butternut squash we got.