Saturday, February 5, 2011

Minestrone Soup

I love soup. 

However, my sisters love soup even more so I imagine all of us will be making this soup atleast once if not more during the remainder of winter. 

Thanks for sending in this idea Lori!!  We appreciate new ideas.

Minestrone2 T olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 ribs of celery (chopped)
4-5 roma tomatoes chopped or 1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 sprig of rosemary
1T fresh oregano
6 C chicken stock
1 C orzo pasta (any small pasta will work-elbows, etc)
1 crookneck squash cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
1 zucchini cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
1 head of kale removed from stalk and coarsely chopped
1 2/3 cups garbanzo beans (or one 15 oz can drained)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup parmasen cheese


Heat oil over medium high heat in a stockpot and saute onions until translucent (3-5 minutes) add garlic and saute until fragrant (30 seconds). Add Carrots and Celery and  saute 3 more minutes until colors brighten.  Add tomatoes, herbs, and chicken stock. Heat to boil. Add orzo and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes has elapsed add squash, zucchini, and kale. Cook until kale wilts, squash is soft and orzo is al Dente (5 minutes). Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.  Divide into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese.

I use homemade stock, home cooked beans so I add quite a bit of salt as I go. If using store bought items you will need to add much less salt. This was a great one pot meal and I was able to use items from my Italian pack and my regular basket. My kids (6 and 3) both liked it and had 2 bowls. They were both suspicious before they tasted it but didn't look back once they did. I am having a bowl for breakfast and look forward to lunch for it. This recipe makes a lot of food.

Lori Miller

No comments: