Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Valentine's Dinner

 How was your Valentine's  Day dinner?

Did you stay in at home and cook a delicious meal for your Valentine or did you hit the town for a yummy meal made by someone else?  Whatever you did, I hope it was a LOVEly day for you and ones you love.

I thought I would get a little personal with you and share little snippets of our Valentine's Day dinner with you . . . 

We had a lovely night in last night.  We enjoyed a fantastic meal made possible by some of our Bountiful Basket vegetables and fruits!

I was in charge of Valentine's Day this year.  We decided we would swap each year and have one of us in charge of Valentine's Day and the other our anniversary (as they are a little more than a month apart) so that we are only in charge of one lovey-dovey holiday each year.  I was excited to get to take over our first Valentine's Day at Mr. and Mrs.

I tried to make it extra special by putting some sweet little decorations throughout the house and set the table pretty by using our wedding china.  And what is a romantic dinner without candlelight?


One of my husband's very favorite foods is seafood.  Shellfish to be exact.  So I went all out and made him a lobster/shrimp/salmon feed.





I had a very happy {and helpful} husband!

He's dang cute, huh?

I was able to use a bunch of those lemons we've been getting in this amazing Shrimp and Angel Hair Pasta.  We also used up the lettuce, tomatoes, and bell peppers from this week's basket in a basic garden salad (my favorite side salad). 



We then finished off the night with chocolate fondue!  We got a fondue pot as a wedding gift and last night was the first time we used it.  I'm pretty sure it will become a regular in our home now.  It was SO easy to whip up and super delicious! 

We used up some of the strawberries and bananas from this week's basket.  But just think of all of the fun fruits we get that would be perfect for fondue!


  
I hope whatever you did, you had a fun and delicious time on Valentine's Day!

Here are the recipes for the pasta and chocolate fondue . . .

Shrimp and Angel Hair Pasta
(recipe from one of my dearest friends, Sadie)

Ingredients:
1/2 lb angel hair pasta 
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. medium shrimp, uncooked, and peeled
1 Tbs. fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt and pepper
1 c. chicken broth
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (I used just under 3/4 tsp.  My husband loves the heat.)
1 Tbs. lemon peel, zested fresh (I used 2 Tbs.  I love the lemon flavor!)
1/4 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. fresh Italian parsley, chopped (I used a little more than 1/4 c.)
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used 1/2 c.)
Directions:
1.  Cook pasta according to instructions and drain.
2.  While pasta cooks, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic, shrimp, and 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.  Saute for 2 minutes or until the shrimp are barely pink and/or garlic is soft.
3.  Add the chicken broth and crushed red pepper flakes.  Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Simmer on high for 1 minute.  Stir in lemon zest and juice.
4.  Drain the cooked pasta and put in a serving bowl.  Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil (I omitted the additional olive oil and it was great!) and 1/2 tsp. of salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.
5.  Add the shrimp mixture, parsley and cheese (gradually so as not to clump the cheese).  Toss to mix and serve immediately.


Chocolate Dessert Fondue

Ingredients:
12 ounces milk chocolate (I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate baking chips)
1/4 c. milk
10 large marshmallows
1/4 cup liquid whipping cream

Directions:
1.  Place chocolate and milk in fondue pot (I am sure you could do this on the stove on LOW).  Turn temperature dial to Warm.  Stir constantly until chips are melted.
2.  Stirring constantly, add marshmallows until melted.
3.  Gradually add the whipping cream.  Heat through.

No comments: