Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sunshine, Snow, Rain, Hail, & Carrot Soup

We had weird weather here in Boise today and I was actually glad about it because I had planned on making a big batch of soup and soup always tastes better when it's cold outside.  However, with that being said, this soup truly does taste good any day, no matter the weather. :)  It is seriously one of my (not my husband's--he likes it but not like I do) favorites!! 


CARROT SOUP
**Saute the following ingredients together until soft.
2 T butter
1 large onion, diced
1 leek, sliced

**Add the following and bring to a bubbly simmer.  Simmer for 40 minutes. 
4- 10 oz cans chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium potato, peeled and cut up
1 medium turnip, peeled and cut up
8 carrots, peeled and cut up
1/4 t thyme

**Puree in blender until smooth and season with salt & pepper to taste.

***Today I tossed in a parsnip and 5 or 6 stalks of celery.  I left the thyme out as well and it was delicious.  I doubled the recipe and now I have soup in the fridge and the freezer. 

It's the perfect bowl of soup after a Valentine's Day/Week full of treats. 

Enjoy!!


No comments: