Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This and That- Wendy's CHILI


I LOVE Wendy's Restaurant Chili. Served over a baked potato with their Caesar Salad on the side is my favorite faux-made meal! So, one day I tried to recreate their chili and here is what I came up with.


Wendy’s Chili Recipe

2 lbs. fresh ground beef
1 qt. V8
2 (15oz.) can SW Mexican Tomatoes (chopped or blended)
2 (15 oz.) can red chili beans
2 (15 oz.) cans white beans
1 medium onion (1 1/2 c.), chopped
1/2 C. celery, diced (This is a good starting point, but I've since decided to use WAY more. As much as I have!)
1/4 C. bell pepper, diced (Way more here, too!)
1/4 C. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin (if you like real flavor, add more)
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. each: black pepper, oregano, sugar
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Brown your hamburger along with the chopped onion.  Add and saute the celery and bell pepper. Transfer to a large soup pot. Add the V8 juice, all your canned beans (undrained), tomatoes, and seasonings. Simmer. And serve.

This recipe freezes amazingly well. I make this recipe ONE time at the beginning of winter. I at least triple the batch and freeze it in freezer bags and use it all winter. I always clean my house on Mondays and so this is typically my Monday go-to meal. I hate to mess up my kitchen after cleaning all day, so I thaw a bag of this chili, throw it in the crock pot and smell it's delicious aroma all day while I clean!

No comments: