Thursday, November 18, 2010

Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake

 A friend of mine was telling me about this recipe at church a few weeks ago and it sounded delicious.  I don't know about you, but we always seem to have an extra apple or two at the end of week that is perfect for a baked goody. 
She so sweetly emailed the recipe to me a few days ago and I am SO excited to try it.  I bought the cranberries at the store this week and am hoping to get around to making it in the next week.

I'm thinking this would be a great addition to the myriad of pies that will appear on the table on Thanksgiving.  Maybe this will just have to be one of my contributions.  What do you think, sister?

Cranberry & Apple Cake

Ingredients:
8 ou. Fresh cranberries



2 granny smith apples
½ C. brown sugar packed
1 TB orange rest
¼ C. fresh orange juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 extra large eggs 
1/4 C. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C. sour cream
1 C. flour
1/4 TB. sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Peel, core and dice apples.   

Combine cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice and 1 tsp cinnamon in medium bowl.  Set aside.   

In mixer beat eggs for 2 minutes.  Add 1 C. sugar, the butter, vanilla, sour cream, salt & flour.  Beat just until combined.   

Pour fruit mixture into a 10 inch glass pie plate (or larger!  My friend said her's bubbled over in the oven in a 10 inch pie plate.  What a mess, I am sure!).  Pour the batter over the fruit, covering it completely.   

Combine the 1 TB sugar and 1/8 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over batter.   

Bake @ 350 for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Great with ice cream. 

4 comments:

Kim said...

yes please!! i love both apples and cranberries. would love this at our thanksgiving table.

Lisa-Marie said...

Boo hoo! I want to be at THAT Thanksgiving table. At least we'll be at the same table this weekend!

Dana and Doug said...

Loved this recipe...I made it with pear instead of apples and threw in some berry. Looked very festive~ THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!

jayayceeblog said...

Tightwad Mom sent me over. This recipe looks wonderful. Definitely going to give it a try!