Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hold the Marshmallows, Please- SWEET POTATOES

 Call me un-American, but I do not like the traditional sweet potatoes that are typically served at Thanksgiving. You know the ones, they're covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Ick. And for all these years (30 plus!) I thought it was the sweet potatoes I didn't like (cause heaven knows I like marshmallows and brown sugar.) Turns out that's not really the case. Bountiful Baskets has given me the opportunity (several weeks in a row sometimes) to experiment with sweet potatoes and to realize that I really DO like sweet potatoes. Just not the Thanksgiving version.

So, if you feel the same way, but just feel that it is un-American to have a Thanksgiving table without sweet potatoes, then please, try these! YUM! They are so fresh and light and I think they would make the perfect compliment to your Turkey!

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Chili Dressing
Recipe from my Reader's Digest Magazine

4 medium sweet potatoes- peeled and cut into large sticks
1 large onion, preferably red, sliced
8 tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tsp. chili powder or to taste
juice of 2 limes
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oven to 400*F. Put sweet potatoes and onion on large baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbs. olive oil, toss to coat, and spread in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; roast, turning occasionally, until potatoes are crisp outside and just tender inside and onions are soft and brown, 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven; keep on pan until ready to dress.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 6 tbs. olive oil wit h chili powder, lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.

3. Toss warm vegetables with dressing and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature (or cover and refrigerate up to a day.)

ENJOY!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have another non-traditional sweet potato casserole recipe. It's still sweet, seasoned with orange juice and pineapple, but w/o the marshmallows. http://secretsofmom.blogspot.com/2010/04/tropical-sweet-potato-casserole.html

Nisha said...

I'm totally with you Lisa-Marie. Marshmallows on sweet potatoes are totally SICK! I'll take my sweet potatoes just about any other way though. I love them roasted, but for Thanksgiving dessert - Sweet Potato Casserole! Madhava has a great recipe on their site. YUM!