Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tuna Casserole with Broccoli & Other Veggies


Now I know many of you will just pass this recipe by purely because it's a tuna casserole, but it was seriously good.  You should have seen my 15 month old eat like it was going out of style.  He's a good eater but lately has been picking veggies out of things. But this meal he ate every last bite and it was chock full of vegetables.  The 3 year old on the other hand, well, let's just say she is very much 3!! 

So grab yourself 2 cans of tuna, some no-yolk noodles and let's get cooking the Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole from the site skinnytaste.com.  I did make a few modifications so that I could just use what I had at home without having to run to the market.

*6 oz. no-yolk noodles
*1 T butter
*1 medium onion, minced
*3 T flour
*1 3/4 c chicken broth
*1 c milk (I used skim, that's what I had on hand.  Maybe I should have used the baby's whole...mmmm)
*mushrooms cut to your preference (i don't love mushrooms but know they add great flavor.  i used 4 oz. diced and it was perfect for us.)
*broccoli, cut into small pieces, about 2 cups
*3 stalks celery, sliced
*2 large carrot, diced
*1 c frozen peas, thawed
*salt and pepper to taste
*2 cans tuna in water, drained
*1 c medium cheddar cheese
*2 T Parmesan cheese
*2 T breadcrumbs.  I used 1 slice BB bread that I let dry out and pulsed it in my food processor.  Didn't use it all

*oven 375 degrees, 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray

1)  Cook your noodles so that they are a little undercooked.  Drain, rinse and set aside.

2)  melt the butter in a large skillet, add onions and cook until tender.

3)  stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly

4)  slowly whisk in broth and stir until well mixed.  add milk and bring to a boil.

5)  add vegetables and let cook on medium heat until mixture begins to thicken; about 10 minutes

6)  stir in drained tuna

7)  stir in cheese and noodles.  mix until well coated.

8)  pour into greased 9x13 pan.  cook for 20-25 minutes on middle rack.

9)  remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to set up

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go have the leftovers for lunch. 

No comments: